Hello dear readers. I hope that you have the courage to read these two blogposts, and to comment on them as is your will. It is only my opinion but my word is not divine or natural law and I'm not being nominated for Think Policeman 2016 :)
On the shooter (he who shall not be named):
The deliberate targeted mass shooting and murder of 49 innocent LGBTQIA individuals at Pulse nightclub in Orlando on Sunday 12th June 2016 shocked the world and indeed shocked me to my core. First and foremost its perfectly OK to acknowledge that it was a homophobic hate crime committed by a depraved wife beater who was self obsessed with the hyper-masculine image he wanted to portray externally to all those he apparently “cared about” whether they wanted to perceive that image or not. To quote Twiggy's lines to Eddie Monsoon in Ab Fab: “You're your own moon; you moon yourself”.
This is why:
- He seemed to be entirely shameless in his attacks; in fact he was laughing as he fired shots all around the bar;
- He thought himself to be the perfect follower of Allah even though he was nowhere near such a level (the Prophet Muhammad is considered the perfect one in Sunni and Shi’ite Islam);
- He was extremely arrogant;
- He believed he was automatically entitled to act however he wanted regardless of the eventual consequences and willingly knew he would endanger life;
- He deliberately exploited the feelings of others, including his wife, regardless of their mental or physical state.
- I.e. he was the very definition of a narcissist!
My main question is why didn't the Imams, friends or family intervene sooner? Why did they allow him to stew in his own juices for so long? If it was clear that he'd been abusing his wife, and had made distasteful comments towards a disabled person surely a sensible Imam would have questioned his reasoning behind his actions and reminded him of his duty as a law abiding Muslim in the US?
It seems irrational to me that anyone would aid and abet such a clearly mentally depraved individual by sheer inaction or sham ignorance! Maybe he was able to hide his true nature far too well in the first place! Maybe his father loved him too much to denounce his behaviour, which happens in many instances involving hardened criminals.
Time will tell.